[CMake] CTest and Git submodules

NoRulez norulez at me.com
Mon Jun 27 13:56:37 EDT 2011

Hi,

currently I use the following to update git submodules during the ctest:

    if (EXISTS "${CTEST_SOURCE_DIRECTORY}/.gitmodules")

        execute_process (COMMAND ${GIT_EXECUTABLE} submodule init

                         WORKING_DIRECTORY ${CTEST_SOURCE_DIRECTORY})

        # Update the sub modules

        execute_process (COMMAND ${GIT_EXECUTABLE} submodule update

                         WORKING_DIRECTORY ${CTEST_SOURCE_DIRECTORY})

    endif ()

The problem here is that if a submodule has also submodules this doesn’t
work, so I tried it with:

    if (EXISTS "${CTEST_SOURCE_DIRECTORY}/.gitmodules")

        execute_process (COMMAND ${GIT_EXECUTABLE} submodule init

                         WORKING_DIRECTORY ${CTEST_SOURCE_DIRECTORY})

        # Update the sub modules

        execute_process (COMMAND ${GIT_EXECUTABLE} submodule update
--recursive

                         WORKING_DIRECTORY ${CTEST_SOURCE_DIRECTORY})

    endif ()

The main problem here is that the “submodule init” command doesn’t
initialize “recursive”.

Now, the question I want to ask is, if there is something in CMake/CTest
which I can call or if someone has already solved this problem.

Many thanks in advance

Best Regards

NoRulez