[CMake] providing library information, what's the cmake way

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 04:49:01 EST 2010

2010/11/25 Johannes Zarl <johannes.zarl at jku.at>:
> On Wednesday 24 November 2010 19:03:21 David Cole wrote:

>> > Perhaps a good compromise is simply to add version information to all
>> > new CMake commands/variables/properties that are added henceforth?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > tyler
>>
>> That does sound like a good idea.
>
> From the information in http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Released_Versions and
> using some shell-scripts to create the diffs between all "neighbor-versions",
> it's not too much work to create a compatibility matrix for the documented
> features.

May be it can be fully  automated suche that adding a column for each new
CMake release would take minimum time?

> I took the liberty and compiled such a compatibility matrix here:
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Version_Compatibility_Matrix
>
> It's a draft and does not (yet) contain information about properties and
> variables, but if this idea receives general consent I could complete the
> information.
>
> What do you think? Is this worth the effort, or would no one ever bother to
> update the information?

I like it too, I think it's very handy.
Concerning the update I think I will be done (and I may help)
if some scripts pre-digest the informations to be laid out.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org