[CMake] Bug fix requests for the *next* release of CMake...

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Nov 5 13:41:32 EDT 2010

On 11/5/2010 10:48 AM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:

>> We are aiming for quarterly releases from now on, scheduling them every 3
>> or 4 months. That would make the next release of CMake version 2.8.4 and
>> scheduled to have an "rc1" release candidate in approximately mid-January,
>> 2011, target date: Wed. 1/12/2011.
>
> Any chance to just do a splash&dash release by just collecting some already
> finished or rather minimal bugfixes and going into rc1 in like 2 weeks to see a
> 2.8.4 with fixes only in half of the time? There are already some fixes around
> and doing the rest of development for the then 2.8.5 in next for some more
> weeks shouldn't hurt.

No, no chance of that.  You will have to wait for January for additional
fixes.  We just can not be in release mode too long.  We have to move
back into to development mode.  For each "quick bug" fix, we are likely
to introduce one or more new bugs or backwards compatibility issues.
We are on a rapid release schedule of one each quarter, so now is the
time to make sure your issues get fixed.  As David mentioned, fixes that
come with tests and patches are quicker to be integrated.

-Bill