[CMake] Building in stages.

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Jun 21 10:54:23 EDT 2010

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to tackle a problem with staged
builds.

In trying to convert a project which uses omake to build OCaml files I've
stumbled on the issue that building one sub-part (bar) of the project needs
the result of another sub-part (foo).  The twist is that foo is required
already at the dependency-discovery stage of bar[1].  Is there some clever way
of working around this?

One obvious solution would be to simply skip automatic generation of
dependencies for bar, but that feels a little naughty.  It feels about as
naughty as how the previous build system just worked by ordering[2].

Hopefully there's some better way of achieving this, any suggestions?

/M

[1] For those initiated in OCaml and its tools stack the former sub-part
builds a custom filter for camlp4 which is then used in the latter sub-part.
[2] omake is very similar to make and in this case the build of foo just
happened before bar, and there was no attempt at automatic generation of
dependencies at all.