[CMake] Use of CMAKE_SUPPRESS_REGENERATION with "Unix Makefiles" generator

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Jun 1 15:42:45 EDT 2010

On 6/1/2010 2:36 PM, Michele Caramello wrote:
> I am trying to use CMake also to generate project files that can be
> use plainly be used by people not having CMake installed on their
> machines.
> To achieve that, I though the best path would be to remove the
> auto-regeneration hooks that allow the regeneration of project files
> when any of the CMakeLists file changes.
> I successfully used CMAKE_SUPPRESS_REGENERATION (by setting it to 1)
> to have Visual Studio 2005 project files being generated without said
> auto-regeneration feature.
>
> The same trick did not work on Unix with Makefiles.
> Did I do something wrong in the process?  Does it work differently
> from generator to generator?  Is there another way to achieve that?

This is not really a supported mode of CMake.  You really need to have
cmake installed.   For makefile based generators CMake is even more
required since it is used to create source file depend information.
Without CMake around, the makefiles will have no source level depends.
There is no way to turn that off, as turning it off would be a bad thing....

-Bill