[CMake] What's the best way to support additional compilers for an "official" CMake language such as Fortran

Arjen Markus arjen.markus at deltares.nl
Fri Jan 22 03:17:43 EST 2010

On 2010-01-15 23:58, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> The PLplot project has been supporting some additional Fortran compilers
> via
> files in cmake/modules/Platform in our source tree where we use
>
> set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake/modules)
>
> This CMake_MODULE_PATH approach requires that we put a slightly modified
> version of CMakeFortranInformation.cmake in cmake/modules that searches
> ${CMAKE_MODULE_PATH}/Platform locations as well as
> ${CMAKE_ROOT}/Modules/Platform.  That's pretty clumsy but this procedure
> has
> worked fine for CMake-2.6.x.

> Of course, the long-term solution to this problem is to contribute our
> files
> that support additional Fortran compilers to CMake.  We would be happy
> to do
> that, but that probably involves considerable delay until they are accepted
> into an official CMake release, and in any case if our users find
> additional
> Fortran compilers (or C compilers or C++ compilers) they would like us to
> support, we would always need to independently test these files over at
> least one PLplot release cycle ourselves before contributing them to CMake.
>
> So I would appreciate an answer to the above question about the best
> procedure for supporting additional compilers (for Fortran or any other
> officially supported language for CMake) within a project like PLplot.

As one of the developers in the PLplot project, who is moreover
concerned with the support of Fortran, I would like to stress that we
are quite prepared to submit the changes to existing modules or the
additional modules to CMake. We can also test the modules for the
various compilers that come with CMake within the context of PLplot.

Regards,

Arjen