[CMake] open source project for CMake ports?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 16:16:42 EST 2009

2009/2/17 Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>:

>> But a http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/ type archive for CMake modules
>> would also be a good idea.
>
> At FOSDEM we also discussed about something like this, some kind of
> semi-official place where to get additional cmake files.
> Right now you can look in several places, KDE being one of them.
>
> One idea was to actually ship those files as "unsupported" with cmake, but in
> a directory which is not searched by cmake by default, so that if somebody
> wants to use a file from this directory, he has to do something manually
> (either copy the file somwhere or set CMAKE_MODULE_PATH) to use it.

You may find conflict when trying to bundle the file.
Since CMake CVS seems to be able to file(DOWNLOAD
then only shipping convenient macros that is able to
[conditionnally] and selectively download "unsupported" macros files would
be "better" because:

1) CMake bundler won't have to choose which "unsupported" cmake macros
    to bundle

2) One can get up-to-date "unsupported" macro without waiting for next CMake
     release

I would go for a macro whose signature may be

get_additionnal_cmake_scripts(URL LOCALFILENAME FORCE_UPDATE)

which would may be usable like this:

get_additionnal_cmake_scripts(http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeutils/cmake/modules/FindLibZip.cmake

${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake/FindLibZip.cmake
)

--
Erk