[CMake] open source project for CMake ports?

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Tue Feb 17 15:23:23 EST 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Aaron Turner wrote:
> > Honestly, I think in the long run, improving the existing standard
> > library of Cmake modules to allow developers to concentrate on how to
> > build their own code rather then figure out how to link to various
> > libraries and write portability tests will win grow the Cmake user
> > base much faster.
>
> That is really a separate issue.  The Modules directory in CMake is
> addressing that, and I think there is a google code project that has
> some CMake find stuff as well.  The problem this is addressing is an
> easy way to build some libraries that maybe difficult to currently build
>   on windows.  I think that was at the start of the thread.  For linux
> and other Unix like platforms ./configure; make; make install, then run
> cmake and have it find the installed stuff works great.  For windows
> this requires cygwin, and lots of work.  If the projects had cmake files
> the build on windows would be much easier, and by using add_subdirectory
> the projects are easy to build.
>
> But a http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/ type archive for CMake modules
> would also be a good idea.

At FOSDEM we also discussed about something like this, some kind of
semi-official place where to get additional cmake files.
Right now you can look in several places, KDE being one of them.

One idea was to actually ship those files as "unsupported" with cmake, but in
a directory which is not searched by cmake by default, so that if somebody
wants to use a file from this directory, he has to do something manually
(either copy the file somwhere or set CMAKE_MODULE_PATH) to use it.

Alex