[CMake] open source project for CMake ports?

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Tue Feb 17 08:29:07 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Luigi Calori <l.calori at cineca.it> wrote:

> Alexander Neundorf ha scritto:
>
> I do not see value in keeping sources (as VTK does) apart from avoid the
> download-expand step.
> If the cmake scripts use glob rex expr to get source files, it should be
> quite resilient to project change and should be easier to mantain.
> I think that having cmake  support for download,unpack and patch would
> really help.

For the first cut I think starting out with keeping the CMakified sources in
the project would be fine.  Many people are never going to want anything
more complicated than this and we know that this will at least work for now.

CMake can already untar with -E mode.  Adding download support wouldn't be
too bad.  Not sure how you would handle patching though.  A nicer solution
than above would be storing the original tarball + patch in the CM of your
project and then having CMake untar + apply it at configure time.  Then you
could optionally add download support on top of that for anyone that wants
the ability of their project to properly to build to depend on some server
out there in the cloud (not me).

--
Philip Lowman