[CMake] FIND_PROGRAM() behavior

Bill Spotz wfspotz at sandia.gov
Fri Feb 6 12:39:36 EST 2009

Hello,

Because FIND_PACKAGE(PythonInterp) wasn't behaving exactly the way I
wanted it to, I was playing around with the following (at the very
beginning of my CMakeLists.txt file):

   FIND_PROGRAM(PYTHON_EXECUTABLE python)
   MESSAGE("PYTHON_EXECUTABLE is " ${PYTHON_EXECUTABLE})
   FIND_PROGRAM(SWIG_EXECUTABLE swig)
   MESSAGE("SWIG_EXECUTABLE is " ${SWIG_EXECUTABLE})

On my system, the following executables exist:

   /sw/bin/python
   /usr/bin/python
   /sw/bin/swig
   /usr/bin/swig

and /sw/bin comes first in my PATH environment variable.  I would
expect to get the same paths to both python and swig, but I don't.
Instead, I get the output

   PYTHON_EXECUTABLE is /usr/bin/python
   SWIG_EXECUTABLE is /sw/bin/swig

I make sure to delete my cache file before running cmake, so I don't
think it is a caching issue.  Why else might it behave like this?

Thanks

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-0154      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0370    Email: wfspotz at sandia.gov **