[CMake] visual studio project settings

James Bigler jamesbigler at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 12:28:36 EST 2009

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>wrote:

> I just discovered that VS 2005 and greater have some per target
> configuration files that might be interesting for CMake to create.
>
> Next to each .vcproj file is a .vcproj.CORRIN.hoffman.user file, where
> CORRIN is the name of the machine, and hoffman is the name of the user.
>  These files are not binary, but are XML just like the .vcproj file. The
> things you can set are:
>

>        Command="$(TargetPath)"
>                                WorkingDirectory=""
>                                CommandArguments=""
>                                Attach="false"
>                                DebuggerType="3"
>                                Remote="1"
>                                RemoteMachine="CORRIN"
>                                RemoteCommand=""
>                                HttpUrl=""
>                                PDBPath=""
>                                SQLDebugging=""
>                                Environment=""
>                                EnvironmentMerge="true"
>                                DebuggerFlavor=""
>                                MPIRunCommand=""
>                                MPIRunArguments=""
>                                MPIRunWorkingDirectory=""
>                                ApplicationCommand=""
>                                ApplicationArguments=""
>                                ShimCommand=""
>                                MPIAcceptMode=""
>                                MPIAcceptFilter=""
>                        />
>
> I don't think you can change the default start up project, that is in the
> CMake.suo (still a binary file) file.  However, it looks like you can set a
> working directory and command arguments for the debugger. Does this look
> like something that CMake should be creating?  If so, what would the API be
> from the cmake files to modify this file?
>
> -Bill

I just found this thread after thinking the same thing.  By far the most
interesting settings to make would be WorkingDirectory and CommandArguments.

As far as the API is concerned I would go for something like a
set_target_property since these settings are per target.

The properties should probably be something like,
VS_<CONFIG>_WORKING_DIRECTORY and VS_<CONFIG>_COMMAND_ARGUMENTS where CONFIG
could be DEBUG, RELEASE, etc.  There should also be an ALL or a version of
the property that doesn't have the config in it (VS_WORKING_DIRECTORY) that
acts as a default if the individual configuration isn't present.

I would love this feature, as I have to do this manually for many projects
every time I start with a clean build.

James