[CMake] Updated WinCE CMakefiles

Clemens Arth clemens.arth at gmx.at
Sun Sep 21 14:15:32 EDT 2008

Hi,

Andreas Pokorny schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> 2008/9/19 Clemens Arth <clemens.arth at gmx.at>:
>
>> [...]
>>

>> I completely agree with you about the issue of adding and removing
>> individual files within a single solution, and I think the entire hack is
>> not a good solution. I would also prefer using an individual cross compile
>> configuration for each SDK.
>>

> Or we let the user set n-different toolchain files each identifying an
> individual
> SDK (or maybe no toolchain files, just SDKs), and execute the  CMakelists
> multiple times using separate CMakeCaches.

I think that will really be the best way to do it.
>> Concerning Visual Studio projects, the main
>> problem is that one would wish to have a generator for any combination of
>> Visual Studio and any SDK, which simply does not exist. A possible solution
>> might be to e.g. use a somewhat generic "Visual Studio 9 2008 - SDK"
>> generator, which might get configured in more detail by sticking back to a
>> dedicated cross compile configuration based on a SDK to be selected in
>> advance (also by setting some flag). First I was thinking about implementing
>> it like that, integrating something like a dialog box or an additional flag
>> to specify a single SDK (or a set of SDKs) to be used during project
>> generation. Finally I did not do it because I did not find a nice solution
>> to the problem of interacting with cmake to specify SDKs - maybe one might
>> think about some mechanism to "generate generators" at cmake startup based
>> on the number of SDKs installed.
>>

> What was  the problem with the cmake user interface?

Maybe there's really a simple solution and I don't find it, but there
are several issues. In my case I want cmake to set up a project using a
SDK to be defined and I want that to be done using the GUI. For example,
I want it to create a project which has to be compiled using the
"Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDK (ARMV4I)" SDK. Note that many SDKs
have such long names that you might not remember easily. Now what you
need is a generator which takes the information what SDK to use (and
what toolchain file to use), so you have to create such a generator. I
think the main problem with this is that you have to create such a
generator for each individual SDK you might install on your computer -
and that's definitely not what I want to do. I think it would be good to
create an universal generator for SDKs which simply takes additional
information what SDKs to use. BUT: if you create such a generator, how
should you pass the information to it which SDK to use? How should this
be done if you want to create the project using the CMakeSetup.exe GUI?
If you let cmake configure your project, you have to know this in
advance, so at the same time as you select which generator to use.
Beside this issue, there is also the problem that even if you can pass
this information using a variable, you have to know the exact name of an
SDK which might be tricky. Thus I would prefer determining the SDK name
somehow automatically and let the user choose from the set.

Do you think that multiple cmakecaches might solve this problem?

kind regards
Clemens