[CMake] Updated WinCE CMakefiles

Clemens Arth clemens.arth at gmx.at
Fri Sep 19 06:18:18 EDT 2008

Andreas,

well, considering the first issue I usually hoped that this might be
solved by Visual Studio somehow automatically by some internal magic.
After a cleanup of the WinCE.cmake and WinCE-cl.cmake a.s.o. these files
should mainly contain settings which are universal to all SDKs (I wonder
if there are such settings, and I have no idea what these settings might
be). The trick would just to make the test-compiles run through. Then I
would rely on Visual Studio to fill up the rest of the settings which
were not set prior using the WinCE.cmake files automatically the first
time the project file is opened. Maybe it can do that like you were
creating a standard project for a platform using a SDK and Visual
Studios assistant which comes up with some standard settings. However, I
don't think that this will really work well...

I completely agree with you about the issue of adding and removing
individual files within a single solution, and I think the entire hack
is not a good solution. I would also prefer using an individual cross
compile configuration for each SDK. Concerning Visual Studio projects,
the main problem is that one would wish to have a generator for any
combination of Visual Studio and any SDK, which simply does not exist. A
possible solution might be to e.g. use a somewhat generic "Visual Studio
9 2008 - SDK" generator, which might get configured in more detail by
sticking back to a dedicated cross compile configuration based on a SDK
to be selected in advance (also by setting some flag). First I was
thinking about implementing it like that, integrating something like a
dialog box or an additional flag to specify a single SDK (or a set of
SDKs) to be used during project generation. Finally I did not do it
because I did not find a nice solution to the problem of interacting
with cmake to specify SDKs - maybe one might think about some mechanism
to "generate generators" at cmake startup based on the number of SDKs
installed. I'd really appreciate if you could help me with implementing
a final solution to this and to find a way to abstract from individual
definitions for various generators like nmake and VS. to create a single
definition.

Regards,
Clemens