[CMake] MEMORYCHECK_COMMAND

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Sep 2 15:07:53 EDT 2008

Andy Lego wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sounds like a nice rainy Sunday project. Unfortunately it does not rain
> in California that much, so it is going to take a while before I have a
> chance to look at it.
>
> Andy
>
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com
> <mailto:sean at rogue-research.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 8/26/08 4:41 PM, Andy Lego said:
>
>      >This is a command used for memory checking, such as valgrind or
>     purify. You
>      >do not need to set it to anything, unless you are doing memory
>     checking
>      >during testing.
>      >
>      >I am not sure if there is any memory checker on mac at this point.
>     Haven't
>      >looked into that for a while.
>
>     Apple provides a memory tester named "Guard Malloc", but CMake does not
>     directly support it.  See:
>     <http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=4954>

I have updated the bug.  I made this comment:

"This is really not like valgrind at all. It causes your program to
crash. There is no additional output that ctest would be able to parse
and report on the dashboard. The man page suggests that you run the
program in gdb to find out what is wrong. I suppose you could just run a
regular dashboard with this library on, and if a test fails, you have a
memory issue. However, I don't see how this would work with ctest."

-Bill