[CMake] Random BAD_COMMAND error when running CTest

Ian Mackenzie ian.e.mackenzie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 23:37:59 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Alan W. Irwin
<irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
> One potential source of randomness is failing or iffy hardware.
>
> Have you kept track of such things as systematic changes in system
> temperature under the same load conditions? I must clean out the dust from
> one of my boxes every 6 months or I see dramatically increasing temperatures
> (like 10 C) under heavy system load.  The other box has much better air flow
> design so the the problem isn't as critical there.
>
> Have you tried running memtest?
>
> What happens if you try running your ctests on an entirely different
> machine?

Thanks for the suggestions!  I don't think system temperature has much
to do with it, though - I did a bunch more tests keeping track of
temperature at the same time (acpi -t && ctest) and there didn't seem
to be a correlation between temperature and errors...both cores were
pretty steady around 56-57 C.  I also just ran memtest, which reported
no errors.

I don't have a convenient way of testing on another machine right now;
while I suspect the problem is somehow dependent on my machine and
might very well not show up on another, the errors also seemed to
start cropping up as soon as I upgraded to 2.6.2, so I think it's
somehow related to CMake. It might just be a packaging thing with my
distribution, but I tried with the binary version of CMake available
on the CMake web site as well and I get the same sort of errors (even
after wiping the build directory clean and rebuilding everything with
the binary version of CMake and then testing with the binary version
of CTest).

-Ian