[CMake] Invoking "make" with CMake scripts?

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 16:52:59 EST 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008 03:36:20 Robert Dailey wrote:
> The problem does indeed sound too complex for my needs, as you've
> emphasized. I'm creating my own open source project which depends on the
> Subversion library, and the subversion library has dependencies on APR,
> Neon, and several other libraries. It's a big complex tree of dependencies
> that I'm not sure how to handle. I'm new to open source projects so some
> advice here might be helpful. At this point I'm getting a bit off topic so
> I do apologize for that. My first thought on solving this problem, as
> you've seen, is to try to use CMake to build everything. However now it
> seems like a pretty bad idea.
The typical way this is handled in both CMake and generally is that you rely
on the builder of your sourcecode to have the dependencies already installed
and then use Find* modules to determine if the libraries are installed and
either block the build or adjust the options depending on what the user has
installed. Having your build system build the other libraries or (even worse)
having copies of them in your source tree is not a good idea as you need to
keep up to date with their buildsystem and also apply any security fixes or
whatever to your local version of the application.

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur