[CMake] Convenience lib vs static library

Ioan Calin Borcoman iborco at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 01:53:44 EST 2008

Isn't a static lib still better than nothing? I was thinking at the
same thing this morning - why not use static libs and simply don't
install them.

I agree, this still has the problem of missing lib dependencies that
you have to solve by hand (with convenience libs, if you have libB
that depends on libA, you simply need to link with libB and the linker
solves your dependencies automatically; with static libs I guess
you'll need to link with -lB -lA), but I guess static libs could cover
a vast number of cases where an autotools developer would use a
convenience lib.

Am I missing something?

Ionutz