[CMake] What does `cross-platform' mean?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Mon Nov 10 08:46:59 EST 2008

On Mon 2008-11-10 08:23, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> So, each find module should have a consistently named variable that can
> control the prefix for finding the module.  For example, FindFoo.cmake,
> would have FOO_DIR.  If that environment variable is set and CMake can
> not find it, it is an error and nothing else is searched.  This is how
> CC,CXX, and FC work.  Once it is found the environment variable is no
> longer looked at.  However, if the cmake cache variable of the same name
> is ever changed then all variables for the module are reset.

I think that is ideal behavior for Find* modules.

> I don't  think we will be getting rid of the cache.  However, having
> dependent variables that when changed cause re-running of tests and
> find_* stuff is a good idea.

I certainly think the cache is a good thing, it's just unpredictable
without dependent variables.

Thanks Bill.  I'm very encouraged by the response this thread has
generated and optimistic that the Find* modules will become more robust
without undue effort by module writers.

Jed