[CMake] seperate source/build directories (Was: cleaning targets)

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Fri Nov 7 12:46:27 EST 2008

On Thursday 06 November 2008, Eric (Brad) Lemings wrote:
> Michael Jackson wrote:
> > Are you using a dedicated build directory or are you running cmake
> > directly from your source directory? If the latter.. STOP.. don't do
> > that. If you use a dedicated build directory then cleaning up from
> > cmake is as simple as rm -rf Build/ and there are no worries about
> > adding to source control because none of the build products are within
> > your source directories. Does this make sense?
>
> As a developer, I nearly always keep source and build directories
> separate.  As a user however -- when I want to just download and install
> some particular software package

I think in this case you also don't need make clean (or distclean).

Actually I use clean very seldom nowadays, also because cmake generates very
complete dependencies (so why should I make clean ?)
And if I want to build something really from scratch, I just create a new
build dir and use this (or get a fresh checkout to have exactly what is in
the vcs).

Alex

P.S. if you really want to save typing, create the builddir as subdir of the
source dir and name it just "b"