[CMake] Recursive dependencies and static libraries

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Nov 5 17:45:26 EST 2008

On Wed 2008-11-05 23:02, Csaba Halász wrote:
> Yes, I have just run into this very problem (see my earlier mail about libtiff)
> I just made some try-compile tests to check for known possible dependencies.
> I hoped somebody with more cmake experience could offer some insight,
> but didn't get any responses yet.

That's a coincidence, I hadn't read your message.  My Tiff example was
just the simplest case I could think of that exhibits this bug.

The method you use is unfortunately exponential in the number of
possible dependencies, an issue when N=40.  When there is no other
information available, perhaps a reasonable solution is a macro that
checks for undefined symbols matching a regex.  Is there a CMake way to
interrogate an archive for undefined symbols (presumably just calling nm
isn't recommended).

Jed