[CMake] CPack - some questions

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 04:01:20 EDT 2008

2008/8/27 Vitor Vasconcelos Araujo Silva <Vitor.Vasconcelos at loria.fr>:
>        Hello Eric,

Hi Vitor,

>        Well, that's what I needed. My Linux doesn't give me the DEB nor RPM
> generators (NSIS also doesn't exists in my environment, but I knew that in
> advance). So, my Linux environment probably lacks some linux packages which
> contains the tools to allow CPack to deal with DEB and RPM.

As far as I know cpack won't check if you have "usable" DEB or RPM tools
on your linux box. CPack (2.6.X) has builtin support for DEB and RPM.
Now when you try to use for example CPack RPM generator the generator
itself (not CPack) will tell you if your system is missing some tools.

So the steps for testing if your conf is OK are the following:

1) verify which version of CMake/CPack you are running by launching

    cpack --help

2) verify the list of generator supported by your CPack
    if DEB and/or RPM is not included with a 2.6.x cpack version then you should
    either re-install CMake using a properly built package or take it
from Kitware:

3) go to your build dir and launch
    cpack -G RPM

then the CPack RPM generator will tell you if it can find the needed rpm tools
(which in the case of RPM is a single tool called 'rpmbuild')

> Do you know
> which linux packages should I include? (I have to ask to my sysadmin to
> install everything needed...)

The name of the package depends on the linux distribution you are using.

For the RPM generator you need the package(s) which contains the
'rpmbuild' command.
For the DEB generator you need  the package(s) which contains the
'dpkg' command.

--
Erk