[CMake] cmake vista tutorial?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 03:41:55 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Craig Miller
<craig.miller at spatialminds.com> wrote:
> I've read good things about cmake and would like to start using it.  I spent
> the afternoon reading the online tutorials and trying to get a simple hello
> world c++ project setup and running.  I started with the documentation at
> http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Documentation.html and first followed the
> "Installing CMake" tutorial which was straight forward enough.  I then tried
> following the "Running CMake" tutorial and things started falling apart.
> There seemed to be a number of mandatory steps missing from the tutorial.
> Before I throw in the towel, is there a recent tutorial that walks through
> setting up an entire project from beginning to end using the latest cmake
> and running under Vista(VS 2005 via nmake)?
>

> As I know some will ask, a few of the items that weren't addressed in the
> tutorial included:
>

> -          Instructions to run the CMakeSetup.exe w/o having first created
> the CMakeLists.txt file in the src directory.
>
> -          No mention that CMake must be run in an environment where the
> Visual Studio vcvars.bat has been executed (which isn't likely if you are
> running the GUI from the start menu).
>
> -          No mention of security issues related to Vista.  After attempting
> to run several programs as Administrator and still failing, I gave up after
> spending a fair amount of time w/ google looking for answers.  Vista seems
> to be introducing the most problems as a result of improved security.
>

> Any links to recent tutorials would be very appreciated.

I do not have Vista but with XP, I use the CMake GUI to generate a
project for my application and then just open the project with visual
studio and build my project as normal in the Visual Studio
environment. If I add files in Visual Studio I edit the CMakeLists.txt
file and recompile. When I do this the project will update itself
automatically by running CMake.

John