[CMake] command line build and install on OSX

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 13:53:22 EDT 2008

I've got a cvs checkout of CMake-2-6-1.

I created a build directory and configured first for a Qt GUI.  The build
completed and installed into /usr/local/CMake 2.6-1.app/.  Then, to ensure
this version is in the default Applications directory:
sudo cp -rf /usr/local/CMake* /Applications/

I then tried to use the GUI interface to create symlinks for the command
line (Tools > Install for Command Line Use), but it failed.

I then reconfigured the build for a curses interface, built, and installed
that.  It installed:

-- Installing: /usr/local/bin/ccmake
-- Installing: /usr/local/bin/cmake
-- Installing: /usr/local/bin/cmakexbuild
-- Installing: /usr/local/bin/cpack
-- Installing: /usr/local/bin/ctest

That's fine, but on this OSX system, cmake was first installed by macports
into /opt/local/bin/ and this is the first entry on the $PATH.  So I could
re-route the path or overwrite the macports install with symlinks to this
build (I prefer the latter).

Is there a command line utility or a make instruction to create all the
symlinks?  Does it have an option to specify the root bin directory?
 Something like:

make symlinks /usr/bin

or

make symlinks /opt/local/bin