[CMake] Component group specific installation with Makefile

Doug Gregor doug.gregor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 11:43:50 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Yann Cointepas <yann at sapetnioc.org> wrote:
> Good idea, however it will be difficult for me to quickly write the patch (I
> will
> probably not finish before the end of september). I have a few questions
> related to this patch:
>
> 1) Targets could also be added to install CPack install types.

Yes, I agree.

> 2) Should targets generation be an option ? If yes:
>   2.1) An optional parameter (such as CREATE_INSTALL_TARGET) could be added
>         to CPack macros

Or, perhaps, NO_CREATE_INSTALL_TARGET to turn off creation of a target
for this specific thing if CPACK_CREATE_INSTALL_TARGETS is ON.

>   2.2) Or a variable CPACK_CREATE_INSTALL_TARGETS = ON/OFF can be used.

This could definitely be a user-customizable option.

> 3) Can a component, component group and install type have the same name ?
>     If yes, it could be necessary to create install targets with different
> prefixes
>     such as install-component-*, install-group-* and install-type-*.
>     As a user I do not really like to have three different prefixes, they
> could be put
>     in three variables to allow user customization.

We can require that the names be unique across componnts, component
groups, and install types.

> 4) How could I make a patch ? With a write access to cmake SVN ?

CMake uses CVS. You can get CMake from CVS, make your changes in that
version, and then use "cvs diff -u" to create a patch that one of the
CMake developers could review and apply. This would be a great help to
the CMake community!

  - Doug