[CMake] CPack Stripping Debug

Yuri V. Timenkov ytimenkov at parallels.com
Fri Aug 1 03:37:08 EDT 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 22:47:10 Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Paul Hatfield wrote:
> > When compiling a binary with CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE as RelWithDebInfo, I
> > verify that the binary has debug symbols, but when I generate an rpm
> > using Cpack the debug symbols are lost.  What's causing this?
>
> rpm automatically runs strip on executables.  It is not cmake doing this
> but rather the rpm tools.
Not exactly... RPM strips executables (at least versions I'm working with -
4.4) as part of post-install action. spec generated in CPackRPM.cmake doesn't
contain %install section, so rpm doesn't strip binaries and create debug
package. Look in rpmbuild and cpack logs.

Also, you may check for CPACK_STRIP_FILES cpack variable.