[CMake] MSVC 2005 and Intel Visual Fortran 10

Maik Beckmann beckmann.maik at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 4 17:56:54 EDT 2008

Am Freitag 04 April 2008 23:11:22 schrieb Kelly (KT) Thompson:
> I've spent the last few days trying to convince CMake to configure a
> toy FORTRAN project without success.  I'm hoping that someone on this
> list can point me in the right direction.  Here are the details:
>
> System setup:
> Windows XP
> Microsoft Visual Studio 8 2005
> Intel Visual Fortran 10.1.014
> CMake 2.4.8 (also playing with the 2.6 beta -- but I'm having the same
> difficulties).
>
> Project files:
> <file=foo.f90>
> program foo
>    print *, "Hello"
> end program foo
> </file>
>
> <file=CMakeLists.txt>
> project( project_foo )
> enable_language( Fortran )
> add_executable( foo foo.f90 )
> </file>
>
> Case 1: Generator "NMake Makefiles" works!
>
> Open command window for "Intel Visual Fortran Compiler..."
> cmake -G"NMake Makefiles" (everything is okay)
> nmake (everything is okay)
> Good.
>
> Case 2: Generator "Visual Studio 8 2005" fails.

[snip]

> Now, I really would like to be able to create a MSVC/IVF project, but
> I don't know what to do next.

I use the VS with the intel 9.0 fortran compiler, but with the NMake or the
MinGW Makefile generator.  Building and debugging works fine when using a
C/C++ - Makefile project.

The VS Studio-X,x generators don't work for fortran, AFAIK.

CMake has a extra source file for every VS version it supports.  I guess the
same would be necessary for every intel fortran compiler release.  However I
never took a close look at the VS realted sources.

Brad or Bill, can you comment on this?

IMHO it's not worth putting work into this, because the Makefile generators
work fine.  At our research group we're working with
    Most: Windows - Visual Studio Makefile Project
    Often: Linux - Eclipse + CDT + photran - Makefile Project
    Sometimes: Solaris - just command line
without notable problems.

-- Maik

PS: We use cmake-2.6