[CMake] Problem with support for Intel Fortran compiler?

Arjen Markus arjen.markus at wldelft.nl
Wed May 30 02:41:34 EDT 2007

Bill Hoffman wrote:

> Arjen Markus wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I received a message from a user of the PLplot package regarding
>> Intel Fortran 9 on
>> a Linux system. Here is the output he posted:
>>
>> /usr/bin/cmake -P
>> CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/cmake_clean_target.cmake
>> /usr/local/intel/bin/ifort
>> -KPIC  -lm  -O2
>> "CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testFortranCompiler.o"   -o
>> cmTryCompileExec -i_dynamic IPO link: can not find "(" ifort: error:
>> problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 1) gmake[1]:
>> *** [cmTryCompileExec] Error 1 gmake[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/vv/RPM/BUILD/plplot-5.7.3/alt/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp' gmake: ***
>> [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 2
>>

>> Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
> Looks like the -O2 might be causing trouble for some reason.
> -Bill

Valery Pipin, who reported this bug, found out indeed that is has to do
with the optimisation
option. By setting FC="ifort -O0", all is working correctly (it seems
the multi-file optimisation
option is involved).

The most acute problem is gone, but it might be of importance to others.

Regards,

Arjen