[CMake] MS Visual Studio: "CMake Error: Unable to find executable ... "

Markus Hamann markus.hamann at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 13:49:38 EDT 2007

  Hello all,

  I have seen my problem being reported before some usergroups, but I have not been able to find a solution. I am  a new CMake user and I would be very happy if someone could help me.

  I use CMake (version 2.4.6) with MS Visual Studio 8 Express 2005 to create ITK projects. After a successful installation some weeks ago  I am now getting the following error messages when I run CMake and it is not possible to create project files anymore:

  "
  CMake Error: Unable to find executable for TRY_RUN: tried "H:/itk/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/cmTryCompileExec.exe"
and "H:/itk/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/Debug/cmTryCompileExec.exe"
and "H:/itk/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/Development/cmTryCompileExec.exe".   "

  And after suppressing further messages with "cancel" and configuring CMake again I get:

  "CMake Error: An attempt was made to access a variable: CMAKE_WORDS_BIGENDIAN that has not been defined. ......"

  The suggestion following in this error message to set the "cache value of CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY to 1.4 or less" does not help.

  Many thanks in advance!!!!!

  Markus