[CMake] UseLATEX.cmake adding dependencies to document?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 02:59:57 EST 2007

2007/3/28, Martin Matusiak <numerodix at gmail.com>:
> Thanks a lot, Eric!

You're welcome :))

> > I don't know but I observe the same behavior
> > (full rebuild on each make) but currently I don't really care even if it may
> > be a bit CPU consuming :))
>
> I suppose so, but since we're using _make_ to do this, it would be
> shall we say ideal to only recompile when changes have been made ;)

The fact is that  "make" does not have built in dependency checking
for latex/pdflatex etc... kind of "compilation".

Moreover [pdf]latex myreport.tex will generate a bunch
of files myreport.log / .aux / .bbl / .lol / .lof /.toc etc....
which may/should be used in a second latex pass
(think about bibtex references or table of contents / figures etc...).

So there is some work for handling latex dependencies correctly.
For example how do you check if you need to run latex once or twice
for solving the "first pass" generated files problem?

It's manageable but I really don't know if its worth the effort :))

> A more general question.. what's the best way to learn cmake? It seems
> quite complicated

What other build system did you use?
I honestly think CMake has the current best feature/simplicity ratio out there.

> and the tutorials don't help me all that much (esp
> with latex which isn't really the intended build project).

Nevertheless I agree it is frustrating at the beginning
because there is no predefined tutorial path.

I think reading examples and reading the doc accordingly
when facing unknown commands/features is the best way to go.

When you are lost the CMake ML is a good place.

--
Erk