[CMake] FindModules vs EXEC_PROGRAM

Werner Smekal smekal at iap.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Mar 26 01:09:08 EST 2007

Hi Stephen,

the module should work without problems for Linux as long as (the
correct) wx-config is in the path environment variable. The module does
practically the same as you do with EXEC_PROGRAM. So if you
CMakeLists.txt works, the wxWidgets cmake module should also work.

Find the module FindwxWidgets.cmake and uncomment line 100

  # MESSAGE(STATUS
"${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_FILE}(${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_LINE}): ${_MSG}")

to get some debug messages. Maybe this gives you a hint what is wrong.

Regards,
Werner

Stephen Adler wrote:
> CMake folks...
>
> I'm setting up a project using vxWidget and cmake. I've run across a
> configuration dilema. I've followed the instructions on how to use the
> wxWidgets file module .cmake as found in
> ${CMAKE_ROOT}/Modules/FindwxWidgets.cmake, but it does not seem to
> find my wxWidget install. (My guess is that I'm actually using wxGTK,
> which is the GTK port of wxWidget.)
>
> wxWidget software is setup to use the wx-config command which dumps to
> stdout the various compialiation and ld switches needed to properly
> build a wxWidget application. So, I added the following lines to my
> CMakeLists.txt file.
>
> EXEC_PROGRAM(wx-config ARGS --cxxflags OUTPUT_VARIABLE WXCXXFLAGS)
> EXEC_PROGRAM(wx-config ARGS --libs OUTPUT_VARIABLE WXFLAGS)
>
> SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} ${WXCXXFLAGS}")
>
> ADD_EXECUTABLE(wxHello wxHello.cpp)
>
> TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(wxHello ${WXFLAGS})
>
> This seems to work fine. Is there any reason I should avoid using the
> 'execute wx-config program and stuff the output into CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS'
> method, and stick to using the more traditional method of including
> the Find module for wxWidgets?
>
> Cheers. Steve.

Dipl. Ing. Werner Smekal
Institut fuer Allgemeine Physik