[CMake] CMake dashboards, Mac OS X Universal Binaries, and running tests in Rosetta

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Mar 20 11:00:28 EST 2007

Hi all,

As you may know, a Universal Binary on Mac OS X is an executable that
contains both PowerPC and Intel object code.  Ordinarily, when you
launch a process the OS runs the PPC code on PPC machines and the Intel
code on Intel machines.  However, Intel machines can also run PPC code
via a behind the scenes dynamic translator named Rosetta.

For testing purposes, I would like to set up some of my Intel iMac
dashboards to build Universal Binaries but run all tests in Rosetta.
This will help catch assumptions based on TRY_RUNs for example.

To run a command line app in Rosetta, you basically have to make a
duplicate of it with the Intel code stripped out.  See: <http://
developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/
universal_binary_exec_a/chapter_950_section_5.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/
TP40002217-CH210-BAJDHEDD> Like so:

ditto -arch ppc <toolname> /tmp/toolname

Where would I be able to put such a thing in a ctest script?  Or any
other suggestions how to achieve by goal of testing in Rosetta?

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com