[CMake] Re: 'make test' fails on x86/Solaris

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Mar 15 21:00:47 EST 2007

On 2007-03-15 17:56-0500 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Ping?
>
> Has anyone been able to successfully build (meaning 'make tests' passes)
> CMake on x86/Solaris?
>
> Hmm, this is new... if I run ctest directly, everything passes. It seems
> 'make test' is doing something that interferes with the tests?

I investigated that question for the libLASi build (which is much simpler
than the CMake build and which also utilizes ENABLE_TESTING() and ADD_TEST
to set up tests for ctest).  I had never heard of the custom "test" target
before for CMake, but apparently this is set up by ENABLE_TESTING().  All
the "test" target seems to do (at least for the libLASi CMake-based build
system) is run

ctest --force-new-ctest-process

Normally, I just run ctest by hand, and it does not work properly until
"make all" is run to build the executables that are run by ctest.  So if for
a fresh build you run the "cmake" command immediately followed by "make
test" you normally get spurious test failures because the "all" target has
not been built before "ctest" is run.  I think this is a dependency issue
for the "test" target which should depend on the "all" target but which for
version 2.4.6 does not have that dependency. I have reported this dependency
issue as bug 4615 in the bug tracker.

To work around bug 4615, I suggest you should always run "make" or "make
all" before you run "make test".  Does this reduce (or even eliminate) the
apparently large number of "make test" errors you have been finding on the
various platforms you have been testing?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).