[CMake] Debug build compiles and links, but Release build fails to link?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Mar 15 11:56:01 EST 2007

On 2007-03-15 09:47-0400 Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:

> I already take the habit of not putting any code that must run inside
> asserts, precisely for this reason. That's not the problem here.

That's good, but that is only a simple example of the problem of debug code
side effects, and you may have a more complex case of the same problem.

> My original question remains: Why would the same code, using the same
> CMakeLists.txt files, compile and link in Debug mode but not link in Release
> mode?
>
> Again, I am not even at the stage of trying to run the program. The final
> link phase fails in Release.

I understood that.  It appeared certain of your needed functions were not
defined at all.  My guess is a conditional compile is skipping them.  Is
that due to some side effect of debug code (not just assert statements!)
that was removed by the -DNDEBUG option?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).