[CMake] Ada and CMake

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Mar 5 12:20:35 EST 2007

Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2007-03-02 12:19-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>

>> So how does Fortran (and C, and C++) avoid the TRY_COMPILE infinite
>> recursion?  Whatever it is, I have obviously missed it for my
>> experimental
>> Ada language support or some core change needs to be made to CMake
>> itself.
>
> Another possibility is there is some fundamental difference between the
> first and second forms of TRY_COMPILE so that the second form avoids the
> infinite recursion while the first one does not.  An earlier version of
> my Ada support simply did a compile test with gcc -c with the second
> TRY_COMPILE form, and that did not have the infinite recursion problem
> encountered when I attempt to use the first form of TRY_COMPILE with
> a full compile+bind+link test with gnatmake.
>
> Anyhow, with the gnatmake test, the first form of TRY_COMPILE is
> required,
> and so far I have not been able to figure out how to avoid the infinite
> TRY_COMPILE issue with that form.  Thus, I would really appreciate an
> answer for how that issue is avoided for the second TRY_COMPILE form
> for C, C++, Fortran, and a compile-only Ada test.
I have not had time to look into the problem in detail.  It sounds like
there is a bug in the second form of try_compile.  One quick way to
verify this would be to change CXX or C to use the second form of
try_compile and see if it has the same problem.   If so, please create a
bug for this.  Thanks.

-Bill