[CMake] Re: Parsing cmake command line parameters

James Bigler bigler at cs.utah.edu
Tue Dec 18 12:59:40 EST 2007

Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
>
>> Exactly.  "Anything could happen" is a lot of fretting about nothing.
>>

> I am thinking a separate file would be the best approach for this.
> Something like CMakeOptions.cmake, it gets read in and adds command line
> options to cmake.  It can include other options files from inside the
> project.   This idea of a "pass" on the cmakefiles is going to be very
> hard technically.  We can push the work to the developer of the
> cmakelist files.  When you create a project, you can put the options
> that you want into a separate file(s).

I think this is a reasonable compromise.  You already have to do this for autoconf, and if you don't want to mess with this, you could not implement one.

The developer could also document that certain flags only have meanings for certain systems.

We could also allow a *very* restricted set of system variables, such as WIN32 and APPLE.

James