[CMake] Compilation speed with CMake/NMake combination, making it faster?

Josef Karthauser joe.karthauser at geomerics.com
Fri Dec 14 10:26:26 EST 2007

[cut]

> Don't forget about the fast targets, I make heavy use of them. If you
> have
> multiple targets you can build a single target foo without checking
> dependencies
> by typing
>
> nmake foo/fast
>
> In cmd you might need to use a backslash.  I have my project split to
> include
> several static libs, so I can build only the section that I am working
> on.

That's what I've done in the end.  I've used CMake to make a per-source
and per-project batch file (in the CMakeFiles/ directory) and then we
call that from within visual studio in a custom tool.  This enables the
developers access to the 'NMake .../foo.obj' and 'NMake project/fast'
targets on a convenient keyboard short cut.  It's improved things no
end.

Joe