[CMake] Re: a ./configure shell script stub (William A. Hoffman)

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Tue May 30 11:11:29 EDT 2006

Hi,

> Von: Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org>
>
> On Tuesday 30 May 2006 16:48, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > But the 'configure' idea is exactly for that set of people who are
> > > used to doing so. And, honestly, unix shell (sh) are available
> > > everywhere. For those that run Windows (and don't have the unixtools
> > > installed) the preferred interface is a GUI anyway.
> >
> > Maybe two things:
> > -it adds one level of indirection
>
> A requirement to get the "./configure --help" to respond instantaneous
> and not after first checking all CMake*.txt files.
>
> > -it hides (at least a bit) the fact that there is cmake running
>
> An understandable concern; it is one that can be solved by adding some
> output where it tells the user the version etc.
>
> Correct me if I misunderstood; but AFAICS the current idea was to parse
> all config files (which in case of KOffice takes several minutes with
> clean caches) and present the options based on that.
> If you want to do that I suggest to not show in anyway that its cmake, as
> the user will hate cmake immediately ;)

If I understood Bill correctly, the idea is to provide a special file which is read by cmake and which provides mappings between full cmake variable names and short command line parameters.
Like:
CMAKE_MAP(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX prefix)

so that cmake will be able to translate
cmake <dir> --prefix=/opt/kde4 to cmake <dir> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/kde4

Bye
Alex

--

Bis zu 70% Ihrer Onlinekosten sparen: GMX SmartSurfer!
      Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer