[CMake] Re: a ./configure shell script stub (William A. Hoffman)

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue May 30 11:04:42 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 16:48, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > But the 'configure' idea is exactly for that set of people who are
> > used to doing so. And, honestly, unix shell (sh) are available
> > everywhere. For those that run Windows (and don't have the unixtools
> > installed) the preferred interface is a GUI anyway.
>
> Maybe two things:
> -it adds one level of indirection

A requirement to get the "./configure --help" to respond instantaneous and
not after first checking all CMake*.txt files.

> -it hides (at least a bit) the fact that there is cmake running

An understandable concern; it is one that can be solved by adding some
output where it tells the user the version etc.

Correct me if I misunderstood; but AFAICS the current idea was to parse
all config files (which in case of KOffice takes several minutes with
clean caches) and present the options based on that.
If you want to do that I suggest to not show in anyway that its cmake, as
the user will hate cmake immediately ;)
--
Thomas Zander