[CMake] CMakeifying Boost

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 13:32:36 EST 2006

John Biddiscombe wrote:
> I know the subject has come up a couple of times... I'm fed up with
> having to install boost on every system I have to compiled something
> on. I'd like to have a Boost utility dir in my source which will build
> itself along with all the other cmake controlled projects. (Preferably
> broken into Boost::lib1, Boost::lib2 etc etc modules)
>
> I've used boost a lot, but never spent much time looking at the
> configuration or build. Has anyone given much though to how hard it'd
> be to CMakeify Boost?
> (And even if the boost maintainers aren't interested in using CMake,
> we could put together a distro once every few months with a latest
> release...)
>
> Anyone got any views?
Judging by my difficulties getting Chicken to build, it'll be impossible
without the CVS version of CMake.  You are going to need the features
and bugfixes of CMake 2.3.

Another issue you'll have to contend with is political buy-in.  Boost is
a big, stable project.  The CMake documentation is not adequate.  So it
is very unlikely that you're going to convince the Boost guys to adopt a
CMake build.  Instead, you will learn all the little details of CMake,
have that knowledge stored up in your own head, and will be solely stuck
with advancing and maintaining a CMake Boost build.  It will be a *lot*
of work, and unless some people pop up and say, "yes! yes! I really want
to work on that!" nobody's going to help you.  Maybe you'll get some
takers from around here, the people who already know CMake.  I doubt
you'll get any from the Boost list.

Documentation is CMake's Achilles heel and will be the next thing I turn
my attention to, after I get Chicken working and achieve some
productivity with it.  I helped start the CMake-Promote list, but IMO it
is not worth promoting CMake until we have better documentation.  Also
CMake 2.3 needs to ship.  There are several basic features that need to
be available to people, like the ability to set shared vs. static flags
on a per-target basis.  Can't do that in CMake 2.2.3.  I would also like
to see the liblib problem fully eradicated.  It is embarrassing trying
to explain that one to the Unix / Cygwin / MinGW crowd.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every