[CMake-Promote] Re: CMake-Promote Digest, Vol 6, Issue 3

Axel Roebel Axel.Roebel at ircam.fr
Mon May 29 13:14:11 EDT 2006

On Monday 29 May 2006 18:01,  William A. Hoffman wrote:
> To work with the options, it is best to use ccmake or CMakeSetup, or even
> cmake -i.   To let people work from the command line we added the abilitiy
> to use -DVAR=VALUE from the command line.  What this does is pre-load
> the CMakeCache.txt with the VAR.   The VAR may or may not be even used in
> the project, cmake does not care.   To implement --help correctly, you
> would have to configure the entire project first.   My suggestion was to
> create an extra file that could be parsed at --help time, it would be small
> and easy to parse, and not require parsing the entire tree.   It would
> provide a map from VAR name to --commandline name.  It would be read by
> cmake and allow the project to specify its options in one place, and make
> it easier to implement --help, and add a way to specify a mapping from
> --option to a VAR name.

Why not have the do nothing parser mode that displays all
help strings of all options that are currently available?
Together with the warning at the end of running cmake
whenever the options did change, you would have all
that is needed for command line operations!

> Short of that maybe the answer is that we should have a GUI for UNIX.

A gui is like ccmake. Besides esthetic's there is no advantage.

--
Axel Roebel
IRCAM Analysis/Synthesis Team