[CMake-Promote] a ./configure shell script stub

Axel Roebel Axel.Roebel at ircam.fr
Sun May 28 13:17:00 EDT 2006

On Sunday 28 May 2006 18:01, cmake-promote-request at cmake.org wrote:
> The real problem is that cmakelist code can do anything and add any
> variables.  Until cmake is run on the project, there is no way to tell
> what the potential command line options are.   This would allow a way
> for a project to tell cmake what the options are, but the could be
> inconsistent with the project.   It would be easy to make an option like
> CMAKE_INSTLAL_PREFIX not do anything for a particular project.

You should know that in a configure script you can as well do nearly
everything.
You can as well write a configure script that will not correctly support
--prefix and I run across a lot of them that did not support --libdir/
--bindir correctly (on our system we need these two to be different from
prefix/bin..., so I know)

But at least for --prefix people will refrain from creating such scripts
because they will not want that users will not be able to redirect the
install.

Moreover in configure, if you create a variable that enables an option, you
are asked to provide help and this help will be displayed. The same goes for
cmake OPTIONS you have to specify a help and so you just need to display it!

So, the possibility to do nearly everything should not hinder you to
set up a main road that people will usually follow.

--
Axel Roebel
IRCAM Analysis/Synthesis Team