[CMake-Promote] a ./configure shell script stub

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Sun May 28 11:20:07 EDT 2006

At 09:20 AM 5/28/2006, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>True in theory.  In practice, how many CMake projects are really renaming the installation directory to Kalamazoo?  I'll wager that most CMake projects are simple.  This a marketing problem; if most projects do what's expected, then CMake isn't sullied by the few projects that do a totally custom powerjob.  Those projects are going to have READMEs and be big and complex with all sorts of special things you have to do anyways.
OK, sure, but that is not really my point.  The point is there maybe a handful of
standard options that we could do, but what people will really want is the options
that are specific to the project.   That is where it gets hard, because cmake has to be
run before you can figure out what the options are.   That is why I suggested creating
an options file.  It is not perfect because it could get out of date with the true
options for the project.   But, it would give people a way to document a project and
have a better command line.

cmake --help ../path/to/source
This would read CMakeCommandLineOptions.cmake, and print out the options found in the
file.

-Bill