[CMake-Promote] .rpm

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri May 26 18:15:45 EDT 2006

William A. Hoffman wrote:

> There are plans to add RPM support to CPack which could be used to create
> rpms.   What we really need is a set of volunteers that will be the point
> person for each distribution.   I think we have a debian support person,
> that mostly keeps up with the release.
It's definitely an excellent thing to do.  Unfortunately I don't do
Linux at all, so I'm not volunteering.  That could change in the future
once the Playstation 3 comes out, if I understand its system specs
correctly, so I have a peripheral interest in long term Linux stuff.

> I am currently doing cygwin releases.
> (Although I still need to get 2.4.2 out to cygwin...)

When I went to test Chicken on Cygwin, I was pleased to have an
installable CMake.  It was unfortunate that it was an earlier CMake, and
that I had to compile 2.4.2, but having something did help.  I usually
do MinGW / MSYS development and the Windows CMake works just fine for that.

Is there any overlap between Cygwin packaging mechanisms and Linux
ones?  If there is, then I'd be willing to at least test on Cygwin.  I'm
not willing to shoulder the whole thing.  My main priority is kicking
Chicken Scheme into shape on MinGW / MSYS and then on VC++, especially
with the free compiler downloads.  I don't do Cygwin, I'm not really
motivated to work on that platform, but I'd be somewhat motivated if it
overlaps with Linux stuff.  Currently I do use Cygwin as somewhat of a
proxy for Linux testing; I don't know how valid that is.

Are there any overlaps between Linux and Mac packaging mechanisms?  As a
game developer I'm more interested in the Mac than Linux.  Not that I
have a Mac; I'm just trying to understand if any packaging mechanisms
are more "lingua franca" than others.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every