[CMake-Promote] .rpm

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Fri May 26 17:51:57 EDT 2006

At 05:43 PM 5/26/2006, Axel Roebel wrote:
>Hi,
>
>given the fact that in contrast to autoconf tools cmake
>requires the installation of a binary before a user can configure
>and use a source distribution it seems to me that it would be
>really helpful to initiate the inclusion of cmake into
>the standard linux distributions.
>
>It is a bit annoying to have to require people to first download and install
>cmake before they can compile a source distribution.
>Are there any plans to support the creation of rpm packages
>with cmake or create binary distributions in the rpm format.
>This would probably simplify the process for the major
>linux distributions to include cmake, which in turn would facilitate
>its use for the end user?

There are plans to add RPM support to CPack which could be used to create
rpms.   What we really need is a set of volunteers that will be the point
person for each distribution.   I think we have a debian support person,
that mostly keeps up with the release.  I am currently doing cygwin releases.
(Although I still need to get 2.4.2 out to cygwin...)

So, what is the list of distributions we want to support?
Maybe we could create a wiki entry and put the maintainer for each
system on it.  I would be willing to notify the folks when a new release
comes out.

-Bill