[cmake-developers] INTERFACE IMPORTED example

Craig Scott craig.scott at crascit.com
Wed Mar 21 18:01:42 EDT 2018

I swear I asked this a while back and there was an example given, but I
have been unable to find it since. With changes done for CMake 3.11, I
think the question deserves asking again anyway.

Does anyone know of a specific example scenario where an INTERFACE IMPORTED
library is the right choice over simply INTERFACE or IMPORTED on its own?
I'm trying to understand what an "INTERFACE IMPORTED" library is primarily
used for and it seems others are equally confused. Now that some of the
restrictions around imported libraries have been relaxed
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/merge_requests/1264>, the
differences seem even less obvious. Anyone able to put forward a scenario?
If we can clarify this well, I'm happy to update the docs to make it clear
for everyone (okay, and so I can find it again in the future :P ).

--
Craig Scott
Melbourne, Australia