[cmake-developers] kwsysProcess threadsafety

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jan 8 06:56:57 EST 2018

On 01/06/2018 02:31 AM, Sebastian Holtermann wrote:
>>> 2) Use libuv instead
>
> I just saw the libuv library in the CMake sources.
>
>> libuv for process management is on the list. I think it is waiting for
>> porting to all of CMake's platforms to actually happen.
>
> Does that mean it's only there for some specific scenarios and shouldn't
> be used in general?

A goal is to eventually fully replace use of KWSys Process with libuv.
I'd prefer not to make any major changes to KWSys Process in the meantime.

Currently libuv is used only for the server mode, but soon it will be
used for CTest too:

  https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/merge_requests/1455

> Looks nice, but in AUTOMOC/UIC it's sufficient to just known which child
> processes are running and to get a notification when one has finished.

Use of libuv's process management for that would be good.  It supports
fully asynchronous operation and so can manage many child processes from
one thread.