[cmake-developers] [CMake] [MSVC] Setting warning level on target feels like long-time bug

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Dec 9 08:55:21 EST 2018

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 at 14:09, Marc CHEVRIER <marc.chevrier at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the discussion is shifting from the initial problem which was unwanted warning « Command line warning D9025: overriding '/W3' with '/W4' ».

I disagree with your opinion.
Fixing just the warning would be a symptomatic treatment.

> Changing defaults is not a good idea from my point of view because relying on defaults can be problematic if Microsoft decide to change the default behaviour.

Although I think it is a long shot at something that is (highly)
unlikely to change, YAGNI consideration,
I understand CMake developers may be reluctant to change the long-time defaults.

> The real question is how to manage cleanly target specific flags overriding global or directory defaults?

>From end-user point of view (I have not checekd CMake implementation),
I'd either do not explicitly set -W defaults or strip any -W option
prior re-setting
with (possibly) new value passed to target_compile_options.

Best regards,