[cmake-developers] [CMake] [MSVC] Setting warning level on target feels like long-time bug

Marc CHEVRIER marc.chevrier at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 08:09:28 EST 2018

I think the discussion is shifting from the initial problem which was unwanted warning « Command line warning D9025: overriding '/W3' with '/W4' ».

Changing defaults is not a good idea from my point of view because relying on defaults can be problematic if Microsoft decide to change the default behaviour.

Moreover, removing ‘/W3’ from defaults will remove the warning for this flag but the problem remains for all other flags possibly overloaded.

The real question is how to manage cleanly target specific flags overriding global or directory defaults? And the frustrating thing is that cl.exe do not allow to disable D9025 warning! :(