[cmake-developers] GCC x cmake

Petr Kmoch petr.kmoch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 04:20:12 EDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Ivam Pretti <ivamprettimn at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would like to know what are the advantages or difference when compared
>> to GCC compiler.
>>

> I understand from the topic you mean compared to cmake; but the two are
> two different things
> gcc is a compiler
> cmake is a build system that uses compilers
> it'd be more meaningful to say make v cmake...
>
> so there is no comparison... definatly an apples and steak comparison (or
> orange would at least be fruit)

I think it's even more accurate to say CMake is not a buildsystem either,
but a *generator* of buildsystems. How it works:

CMake generates a buildsystem (such as Makefiles, build.ninja, a Visual
Studio .sln file). Then a build tool (such as make, ninja, Visual Studio,
XCode) interprets that buildsystem to issue compilation commands. These
commands are executed by a compiler (such as gcc, clang, cl).

I fully agree with comparing GCC to CMake being an apples to steaks
comparison (and I'm stealing that phrase for future use) :-)

Petr