[cmake-developers] CTest script and many subprojects

Zack Galbreath zack.galbreath at kitware.com
Mon Sep 4 10:13:59 EDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Wouter Klouwen <wouter.klouwen at youview.com>
wrote:

> I think if I want it to work in the most optimal way where ctest can
> schedule all tests in the mega project for all sub projects in
> accordance with its load balancing, the SubProject attribute would have
> to become a property of the test, instead of being a global property.

We've developed a feature that essentially does just this.  It's already
implemented in CMake & CDash master, and will be included in the upcoming
releases of CMake and CTest.  Here's some documentation
<https://cmake.org/cmake/help/git-master/release/dev/labels_for_subprojects.html>
.

Basically, you can now split your project into subprojects by setting
labels of targets, tests, and/or directories.  Then you give CTest a list
of labels that should be treated as subprojects by CDash (
CTEST_LABELS_FOR_SUBPROJECTS).

The goal here is to make it easier to do subproject builds.  In the past,
you typically had to configure/build/test each subproject separately.  Now
you can build everything at once and CDash will split up the results on a
subproject-by-subproject basis.